When you vow a vow to God, do not delay paying it, for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you vow. It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay. (Ecclesiastes 5:4-5, ESV)
With the help of the Holy Spirit, the church leadership covenants the following:
- We commit ourselves to lovingly caring for you and seeking your growth in Christ (Hebrews. 13:17; 1 Thessalonians 5:12).
- We covenant to provide teaching and counsel from the Scriptures (Galatians 6:6; 1 Timothy 5:17-18).
- We commit that this teaching will span the whole counsel of God’s Word (Acts 20:27-28).
- We commit to helping you in times of need (Acts 2:42-47, 4:32-35, James 2:14-17).
- We covenant that your elders and deacons will meet the criteria assigned to them in the Scriptures (1 Timothy 3:1-13, 5:17-22, Titus 1:5-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- We covenant to pray for you regularly, particularly when you are sick (James 5:14).
- We covenant to be on guard against false teachers (Acts 20:28-31).
- We covenant to exercise church discipline when necessary (Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 5; Galatians 6:1).
- We covenant to help you become equipped to serve Christ (Ephesians 4:11-13).
- We covenant to seek God’s will for our church community to the best of our ability as we study the Scriptures and follow the Spirit (Acts 20:28, 1 Peter 5:1-5).
- We covenant to set an example and join you in fulfilling the duties of church members (1 Corinthians 11:1, Philippians 3:17, 1 Timothy 4:12).
With the guiding help of the Holy Spirit, I proclaim the following:
- I believe Jesus Christ is exactly who he claimed to be (Matthew 26:64; Mark 14:62; Luke 22:70; John 4:25-26; 6:29; 8:58; 11:25-27; 14:6-7; 15:5).
- I have renounced my old way of life, repented of my sins, asked God to forgive my sins, to cleanse me and make me a new creation (1 John 1:9; 2 Corinthians 5:17).
- I confess Jesus Christ is the Lord, King, Ruler of my life (Romans 10:9).
With the guiding help of the Holy Spirit, I covenant the following:
- I recognize that my sin nature has separated me from God and because of my sins I deserve eternal punishment and separation from God (Romans 3:10, 23).
- I recognize that there is only one way to God; that is Jesus Christ. There is no other way. My redemption and the forgiveness of sins is an undeserved gift of grace from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, accomplished by His death and shed blood on the cross at Calvary (John 14:6; Romans 6:23).
- I am a Christian who has been saved from my sins by the grace of Jesus Christ. I have accepted His gift of salvation bought by His death on the cross, the penalty for my sins, and His resurrection, by which I am assured of eternal life (John 3:16-18; Romans 3:23-26).
- In obedience to Scripture, I have been baptized (or have scheduled to) as evidence and testimony of my commitment to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, my Savior (Colossians 2:12; 1 Peter 3:21).
- I have read and understood Faith Church’s “What We Believe” (online) and agree to not be divisive to its teaching. I will be diligent to preserve unity and peace (Ephesians 4:1-3; Hebrews 13:7, 17).
- I will endeavour to maintain a close relationship with the Lord Jesus through regular personal Bible reading, prayer, fellowship and practice of the other spiritual disciplines. My commitment to follow Jesus Christ will be evident through my regular participation in the Sunday worship services, willingness to serve where needed, and involvement in fellowship with other members of the church body through small group and other planned events (Psalms 119:97; 105:1-2; Acts 2:42-47; Hebrews 10:23-25).
- I will strive to properly manage the resources God has given me, including my time, body, spiritual gifts and talents, attitudes, finances, and possessions (Proverbs 3:9-10; Romans 12:1-2; Ephesians 421-16; 5:15-18; Gal 5222-26). This includes regular giving and service to the local church (Faith Church) that is sacrificial, cheerful, active, and voluntary. (Romans 12: 1-8; 2 Corinthians 8&9; 12:7-31; I Peter 4:10-11)
- I commit myself to the Faith Church family and agree to participate in fulfilling its purpose by being a doer of the Word and not a hearer only, serving Jesus as my Master and Lord in every area of my life. (James 1:22-23)
- I commit to educate our children in the Christian faith; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances.
- I commit to walk thoughtfully in the world; to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment, to avoid all tattling, backbiting and excessive anger; to seek God’s help in abstaining from all drugs, food, drink, and practices which bring unwarranted harm to the body or jeopardize our own or another’s faith.
- I covenant to practice the humility and sacrificial attitude of Christ by considering the needs of others (Philippians 2:1-11), by seeking spiritual friendships (Proverbs 17:17). and by not gossiping (Proverbs 16:28; Matthew18:15-17).
- I covenant to have friendly Christian relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ from other churches, but I will not function in leadership or as a member in another church family (Hebrews 13:17).
- I covenant to be self-disciplined, to follow the biblical procedures of church discipline regarding my brothers and sisters in Christ, and submit myself to church discipline if the need should ever arise (Matthew 18:15-17; Galatians 6:1-5).
- I covenant to submit to the authority of Scripture as the final arbiter on all issues (Psalm 119, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).
- I covenant, if removed from Faith Church, unite with a church where I can carry out the articles of this confession and the spirit of this covenant.
God enabling me, I will strive to consider my commitment to this Member Covenant on a regular basis. I understand that it is an evaluative tool, as well as an affirmation of my continuing conviction and purpose. My responsibility will be to notify the Faith Church leadership if at any time I can no longer commit to this covenant, or if I have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding Faith Church.
Signature: _______________________________________ Date: __________________